Boot Race just beat the flood. After checking out the bridges and deciding that we could go with the “bridges open” course that we had set, we put the signs up, only to see a City truck coming from the bridge! They were ready to close the bridges due to hazards from ice starting to hit the bridges! Fortunately, they were quite willing to wait a couple of hours for us! And Sunday morning, the path turning off McCarthy was under water.
To get things started, we had a military flyby (photo). Although we started out with a bit of cloud, the weather was fantastic overall and quite warm at the end.
Despite the snow on the ground and the white stuff that keeps falling every other day, the summer (?) race season must begin!
And for the Regina Road Runners, that starts with the Boot Race!
Boot Race is a 5 km handicap race. For those who have never run a handicap race, or need a reminder, each runner starts the race based on his/her best 5 km time in the past year. If everyone matched his/her time exactly, everyone would cross the finish line together. BUT, if you can beat your best time, you come across the line just a little bit ahead of everyone else, just like Mary (left) did in 2012 and Leah (right) in 2011.
This year, Boot Race will be on Saturday May 4, 2013, starting at 10 AM.
Where: Rick Hansen Playground in A.E. Wilson Park
Cost: (until Wednesday May 1) RRR Members: Free Non-members: $10.00
Registrations received after Wednesday May 1 will be charged an additional $5.
Register Online: If you have problems or questions please e-mail email@example.com.
- Each runner provides their best 5 K time in the past year.
- (If you have not run a 5K in the last year, give your best estimate, or give a time from another race, and we’ll convert it.)
- The runner with the highest time starts first with the following runners starting later by the difference between their time and the highest time.
- For example, Runner #1 best time is 30 minutes, Runner #2 best time is 28 minutes, and Runner #3 best time is 25 minutes.Runner #1 starts at 10:00AM, Runner #2 starts at 10:02AM (30-28=2, thus starting 2 minutes later) and Runner #3 starts at 10:05AM (difference of 5 minutes, thus starting 5 minutes later).
- If everyone finishes on their time, everyone should finish at the same time.
- Maps will be provided electronically, closer to the event.
- Watch for others using the pathways.